Notices
Zoning Public Hearing
Sep 05, 2017
TOWN OF GLENMORE ZONING PUBLIC HEARING             No...READ MORE »

Plan Commission
Aug 08, 2017
TOWN OF GLENMORE The Town of Glenmore Plan Commission shall meet on Tuesday Aug 8th, 2017 at ...READ MORE »

Zoning/Municipal Code Public Hearing
Aug 07, 2017
TOWN OF GLENMORE ZONING / MUNICIPAL CODE PUBLIC HEARING     &nb...READ MORE »

Plan Commission
Jul 11, 2017
 TOWN OF GLENMORE The Town of Glenmore Plan Commission shall meet on Tuesday July 11th, ...READ MORE »

Board of Appeals
Jul 10, 2017
TOWN OF GLENMORE The Town of Glenmore Board of Appeals shall meet on Monday, July 10th, 2017 ...READ MORE »

 

Home : About Glenmore

 



THE STORY OF GLENMORE
 
by David Koenig 

The earliest mention of Glenmore history I could find was written in 1830 by a man named Stambaugh, who gave this official history of Glenmore. 

At that time, the Waupekum Indians lived there. Their favorite camping place being along the stream and at the foot of the Kokaline Mountains, as they called the lime stone ledge which extends through Brown County and rises to a height of seventy-five feet in some places. Stambaugh also described the area as being a large body of delightful land with numerous streams rising at the foot of the mountain (the ledge). Near this place, the water became very rapid and the margins of these streams are the finest groves of Sugar Maples. These streams unite a few miles below this place and form considerable water called Devils River. 

From other sources, we have learned that· the first whi te settler was Samuel Harrison, ,who settled in this area in 1846. Harrison's Bon Samuel led Co. H of the 14th Infantry. Michael Patton and Tim Murphy.were the first Irish settlers; Patton settling here in 1846 and Murphy in 18,0. Other early settlers included James Heifferman, B.P. Brannan, Thomas Lawton, Michael Moran, Patrick Bailey, John Healy, and C.ornelius Doherty. The heavy influx of Irish settlers caused some to nickname Glenmore "Little Ireland". The name Glenmore is of Irish decent~ which I believe to be a one word description of the area, generally meaning a place of valleys of woodland and rich rolling farmland. However, as Glenmore "aged, the Irish were joined by many German families and today many nationalities are represented here. 

Glenmore was set off from the Town of De Pere in 18,6 and it's first election was held at the home of Michael Patton on the first Tuesday in April, 1857. The first minutes of a town meeting were written by Cornelius Doherty, Town Clerk, in 1858. At that meeting, three road districts were established and a supervisor appointed to each. It also mentioned Mr. Doherty would be paid twenty dollars for his annual salary. 

 

In these early years, the Town of Glenmore was a heavily wooded area and lumber camps were set up and lumbermen helped the farmers clear the land. These camps, the first of which was built about 1866 by Bersie & Bros. and two others, one in 1870 by J.S. Stetson located on the present site of the Wilbur Leiterman farm on Highway 96, ,and in 1871 another by B.F. Smith of De Pere, were Glenmore's early industry. As land was cleared, Glenmore and its surrounding area was described as a veritable garden spot and most highly cultivated farmland to be found anywhere. 

Among the initial concerns of Glenmore's early settlers were religion and education. Since there were no churches in Glenmore, the people were served by visiting clergymen who held services at the homes of towns people. It is believed that the first service was held at the home of Mr. O'Leary in 18,0 with Father Anderledy as Celebrant. In 1874, St. Marys of Glenmore was built. In 1886, it was torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Then in 1939, the second churoh was struck by lightning and one year later, in 1940, the present church was built to serve the needs of the Catholics in Glenmore. In 1882, a group of Norwegian farm families built Zion Lutheran Church. It was kept in good repair and was a beautiful old landmark until it was destroyed on December 19, 1946, by fl.re and has not been replaced to date. The Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Churoh was organized and construoted in 1902. Then in 1965, the old churoh was torn down and a new one was built on the same location in Shirley. Cemeteries are located at each church including the former site of Zion Lutheran Church. What is believe d to be the;~oldes t grave in the township was discovered by aocident this bice.otennial year on the William Detke farm in section 31 near Highway 32. According to the marker, it is the grave of Lorenzo Howard who died on Feb. 18, 1859.

 

    Among the first schools to educate the children of Glenmore was Fair View School located on the northwest corner of Section 36. School opened here on November 29,1875, with 16 pupils enrolled and Miss Murphy as teacher. The first year was a five month term and the second year extended to six months. After two years of operation; it was reported that the building and maintenance of Fair View School cost $463.32. The lumber and shingles cost $64.79, and these logs came from Stetson Saw Mill in Glenmore. In 1914, the original school was sold to Peter Fiel for $50.00 and the school board borrowed $3,000.00 to build a new school. Some of the teachers at the second school included Miss Doherty, Miss Niece, Edna Herald, Lauretta Kane, Genevieve Kane, Christine Andrezak, Amelia Ronk, and Aurelia Ronk. 

 

The Shirley School was also built during this period but I was unable to find the exact date. It was moved in 1904 from the corner now occupied by Whipp's Casino to approximately a block further west on Shirley Road. Then in 1915, it was sold to Immanuel Lutheran Church and moved across' the road, repaired and used as a church hall until about 1965 when the new church was built. Norbert Beimborn purchased the old school and moved it back nearer its original location and converted it to a garage and welding shop in 1966 and is still being used today. After the school was sold to Immanuel Lutheran Church, a new brick school was built in its place. It operated until the late 1950's or early 1960's before it was sold and converted into a home which is now occupied by Mrs. Fels. 


 

The Shaughnessy School was built in 1880 and.looatedthreefourths of a mile west of the.present Conrad School building. In 1915, the Conrad School, which still stands, was. built to replaoe the Shaughnessy School and.receiveda new name because the land it stands on was purchased from theConradso The Conrad School has also been closed andco:nverted to a home now. occupied by the Burdick family. Another of Glenmores early industries was looated one mile east of the present school building, which was a kiln where they burned wood and sold it as charooal. This was the only means of getting oash in those early years for this neighborhood. 

 

The Kiley School was built on a pieoe of land purohase d from Barbara Baumgart on Feb. 12, 1897, for ten dollars. The first school was a frame structure, later replaced by a brick one which was used until about 1960 when the school was closed and the children were sent to the City of De Pere by bus. The old schoolhouse was later purchased by Frank Koltz, who started a pallet factory in it, which has grown considerably and the original school 'is now surrounded by additional buildings Where pallets are made and shipped allover the country. 

 

Maple View School, which is looated at the interseotion of Glenmore Road and Langes Corner Road, was operated for many years but I couldn't find any written history about it. It too was closed about 1960 and the children were transported to the Denmark Schools. The building still remains and is being used by Walter Krause as a warehouse and manufaoturing for his bee and honey operations. 

 

The only school left in operation in Glenmore is operated by Immanuel Lutheran Churoh in Shirley, where area Lutherans send their children Tor primary school. 

 

Glenmore's downtown area is generally considered to be Shirley. 

Though I searched for a more glamorous reason for its name, the only solution I could find was that a group of local men who had congregated in Zellners Store years back pondered the situation and decided to call her Shirley, a name some say came off a paint oan, a brand being sold at that time by the General Store. Anyway, the intersection ~f two highways seemeQ an ideal place for a general store, so on one corner a store was erected by William Falck. Later, he sold it to Joseph Zellner, who operated it until his death, when his son Kenneth took over the business and operates it today. Across the street, on another corner in 1906, a combination tavern, dance hall, and store was built and' operated by Henry Beimborn. After his dea'th, his wife operated the place. The store portion being removed during that time. In 1959, the dancehall and tavern and living quarters were sold to Frank Wypiszynski, better known as Duke Whipp, who has operated it as one of Glenmore's most sociable spots. I'd say when you stop, yOU'll either meet a friend there or make one or both. 

 

The hall isn't as active now as in the past, but every now and then when a special occasion happenst days of yore are revived here. In 1908, farmers felt the need of' a place to di.spose of the ir milk, since farming was increasing rapidly, so William Falck built a cheese factory a small distance from the corner. The factory was later owned by the farmers and operated by a hired cheesemaker. Then in recent years, the factory was olosed and the building was sold to Carl Collins, who uses it as a headquarters for his bulk milk trucks and living quarters. Farmers also needed a blacksmith, so in 1900 Henry Reinke erected a shop on another corner. Later Edward Beimborn bought it. He and his son added a garage and grist mill and later a beer garden. His son Norbert sold the business to Herbert Piela In later years the Piels sold out, the feed mill being operated as the Shirley Feed Mill by David Van Gheem, and the rest of the building converted into a supper club by Richard Fa~an and James Gamble, now opera ted by Fagan alone. Called "The Barn' , Fagan serves the finest food of, all the supper clubs in Glenmore along wi th a fine selection of drinks too. The most reoent member of Shirley's business group is the Brown County F,armoo: Feed Mill which located here in 1969. 

Other businesses in the Township include the Glenrock Cheese Factory operated by Carl Maurer, on the intersection of cty. X and Morrison Road; Scray's Stone Quarry, operated by Leo Scray on Scrays Hill Road; Koltz Pallet Factory, operated by Frank Koltz, on the intersection of Cty. X and Creek View Road; Hillside Cheese Factory, operated as a farmers oo-op, near the intersection of Glsnmore Road and Langes Corner Road; Hebels Corner Cheese Factory, operated by William Novak, on cty. NN near Cty. X; Wauter's General store, one of Glenmore's first buildings, the land was purchased in 18,5 with the store being built shortly after. The store also housed a post office during those 'early years. The store was sold to the Wauters family in 1940 and thei~ son Roger and his family operate the ~tore and its additions today at its original location on the corner of Cty.X and cty. NN. The Glenmore Opera House is Glenmore's oldest tavern and dande hall. Over its many years, it has compiled memories of every concoction from dancing, romancing, fights, to prohibition, and moonshine. The old place seemed to be dying a slow death as the proprietor beoame older and the building was in need of many repairs. Then in 1972, Fred and Marie Tiede purchased the place and began the revival of an old traditional fun spot with modern plumbing and an antique ballroon. Immediately, it attracted thousands from far and near, and began leaving its impressions on the memory of young and old; certainly one of Glenmore's most colorful attractio.p.s located on Glenmore Road at Langes Corne.r Road, now operated by Francia JohansKi.

 

Far and away Glenmore' s largest business is farming and more specifically dairy farming, as Glenmore offers fine land and high production to support a kind of farming which has made Wisoonsin world famous. Starting with hundreds of small farms of eighty acres more or less, the day of the small farm has left Glenmore as  more and more are' consolidated into large farms of two or more hundred acres. Glenmore has what is probably Wisconsin's largest dairy barn located on one of the original pieces of property settled in the 1850's by Cornelius Donahue and now owned by Alvin Allen and Sons. Construction of the large barn was completed during this bicentennial year, and is located on Little Apple Road. Glenmore. has several farms which have been owned and operated by the same family for more than one hundred years, which proves its a good place to farm. 

Glenmore's population has been declining since it reached a 

peak in 1890 of 1441 people, according to a oensus, to a population of 1110 in 1970. We are governed this Bicentennial Year by local government made up of a town chairman, two supervisors, town clerk, town treasurer, town assessor, town constable, health officer, and. weed commissioner, all of which are elected positions. Their tasks are carried out in the Glenmore Town House, as it was known when it was built in 1874 at a cost of $439.48. It stood at the interseotion of Cty. G and cty. X until 1973, when it was moved because of road widening on Cty. G, south to its present location near Schmidt Road on cty. G. The flag pole was constructed this Bicentennial Year by Arnold Ronk and his sons John and Tom. A time capsule will be buried near it containing memorabelia of our day for the generations to come. A Red Oak is also planted in front of the Town Hall in memory of our country's 200th birthday.